In 1949, George C. Wallace State Technical Trade School was established by the Alabama Regional Trade School Act of 1947. In 1955, the name of the institution was changed to George C. Wallace State Vocational Trade School, and on May 3, 1963, by decree of the Alabama State Legislature, the institution became George C. Wallace State Technical Junior College. In response to a recommendation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the technical school and junior college were united in 1969 to form south Alabama’s first comprehensive community college. The Commission on Colleges of SACS accredited George C. Wallace State Community College to award associate degrees and certificates in 1969, and accreditation was reaffirmed in 1973, 1984 and 1994. On November 12, 1996, the name of the Institution was changed to George C. Wallace Community College, and the College was reaffirmed for accreditation in 2002 and 2012.
The 1997 merger between Wallace Community College and Alabama Aviation and Technical College in Ozark and Mobile was followed in 1999 by the merger of Wallace Community College and Sparks State Technical College in Eufaula. In 2003, the Aviation Campus in Ozark and Aviation Center in Mobile merged with a local junior college to enable it to become a community college. Wallace Community College now includes the Wallace Campus in Dothan and the Sparks Campus in Eufaula. Wallace Community College also provides educational programs at Easterling Correctional Facility in Clio, Alabama, and Ventress Correctional Facility in Clayton, Alabama.