Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
This program provides financial aid for the education of dependent sons, daughters, and spouses of the following individuals:
- Veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability arising out of active service in the Armed Forces.
- Veterans who died from any cause while such serviceconnected disability was in existence.
- Servicepersons missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
- Servicepersons forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
- A Servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.
Eligible dependents under this program must provide the following items:
- Completed VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance. Applicants may also apply on VA’s Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill. For transfer students, a completed Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-5495). If application or transfer is submitted online, proof of application must be presented to the Wallace Community College VA Office.
- Official grade transcripts from any colleges previously attended (submitted to the Admissions and Records Office).
It is strongly suggested that Chapter 35 dependents begin their application process at their local Veterans Affairs Office.