The following information is provided to assist students and faculty and staff members with understanding campus regulations related to operating vehicles on campus. Any questions should be directed to the Dean of Business Affairs.
Students and faculty and staff members must register vehicles routinely driven on campus at the College Police Department. Registration information includes student or employee number, owner’s license number, vehicle tag number, and vehicle make and model. Liability insurance is required for all vehicles. At vehicle registration, College Police will issue an identification decal. The decal must be permanently affixed to the lower right back window. On motorcycles, the decal should be affixed to any area where it may be seen easily. Only the current decal should be displayed. If a temporary vehicle (without a decal) must be driven on campus, the student must obtain a temporary parking permit at the College Police Department. The license tag number of the temporary vehicle is necessary to receive a temporary permit.
The following rules must be observed:
- Students and faculty and staff members must park in designated areas.
- Faculty members may not give students permission to use faculty parking areas.
- Parking is prohibited in loading and no parking zones.
- All stop signs must be obeyed.
- Speed on all campus roads is limited to 20 mph except where posted otherwise; but any speed not safe for road conditions, including vehicular and pedestrian congestion, is prohibited.
- All parking must conform to marked-off areas. All parallel parking must be within 12 inches of curbs.
- Vehicles left on campus overnight must be registered with the College Police Department.
- Driving and parking on the grass and sidewalks is prohibited. Parking at crosswalks, loading zones, and yellow curbs is prohibited.
- Double parking is prohibited.
- Blocking driveways, entrances, and exits to parking areas or buildings is prohibited.
- Drivers must yield to pedestrians in designated crosswalks.
- In all lots marked with parking spaces, vehicles must be parked facing into the spaces.
- Unregistered or illegally parked vehicles may be towed away at the owner's expense.
- All motor vehicles on campus must have lights, mufflers, brakes, license tags, and any other equipment required by Alabama state law.
- All other State of Alabama traffic laws will be enforced on campus.
A citation and fine will be issued for each violation. Vehicles may be towed away at the owner’s expense for chronic violations. If a vehicle is parked in such a manner and cannot be towed, College Police will immobilize it with a car boot to the wheel area. This action will result in an additional fine to the owner/driver of the vehicle.