University-Parallel Programs

Programs leading to an associate in arts (AA) or an associate in science (AS) degree are referred to as university-parallel programs. Students interested in preparing to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree in any field may do so at Wallace Community College. Advisors will use the Alabama Transfers Guide to work with students to develop a plan to transfer to any public four-year institution in Alabama, and they will assist students in planning programs for institutions outside Alabama.

The AA and AS degrees require a maximum of 64 semester hours of credit for completion. These degrees are essentially planned sets of general education courses that make up the first half of a four-year baccalaureate degree. Majors are defined by the institution to which the student transfers; however, AA and AS degree students are matched with academic advisors based on the first letter of their last names.

It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with the requirements of the senior institution to which he or she plans to transfer. A student planning to transfer should follow a prescribed transfer program to prevent loss of credit when transferring. Students should consult with their advisors before registering.